Circumcision has been a “traditional” procedure in the U.S. for many decades. However, more and more parents are choosing to leave their sons intact in spite of a great deal of pressure from other family members and/or religious leaders to follow their traditions. Why do these parents refuse? What’s the big deal?
Well I could tell you, “Go ahead! It’s just a little skin,” and pad my wallet with the extra money I could make from these “simple” procedures. Or I can speak to you as a father who regrets his decision to have his son circumcised and try to provide you with the information you should know before making this life-altering decision for your son(s).
I have written multiple posts on this subject and am what is known as an “intactivist” — an activist for the preservation of intact genitalia for all minors unless medical necessity (not preference) dictates otherwise. However, that is not the point of this post. I simply desire to give you information so that your decision, whichever it may be, may be fully informed.
If you are interested in finding out more about circumcision I highly recommend the following resources:
- Infant Circumcision: Did you know? is an engaging 20 minute video featuring Dr Dean Edell, MD, as narrator to discuss the topic of infant male circumcision with expecting parents. EVERY PREGNANT PERSON AND THEIR PARTNER SHOULD WATCH THIS.
- Circumcision Decision-Maker, an online decision-making aid for anyone considering male circumcision. Its focus is first and foremost on what is best for boys themselves, and only secondarily on parents, culture, or religion.
- Talking points and flyers, by Intact America
- Pamphlets, by NOCIRC
- Resources, by Doctors Opposing Circumcision
- The Case Against Circumcision, By Dr Paul Fleiss, MD
Finally, if you are just nervous about how to care for an intact penis, it’s much easier than you think. Check out the following pamphlets on how to care for your infant son and what to expect as he ages.