Georganne Chapin, NYDailyNews.com, reports that the deranged bill banning the ban on newborn circumcision was recently signed into California state law by governor Jerry Brown. This a powerful whack-a-mole response from overzealous legislators with regard to a ballot proposal floated earlier this year (see my related post, End genital mutilation now). It wasn’t enough that a Superior Judge ordered the initiative off the ballot. Legislators too wanted their chance to thumb their noses at California public opinion and succeeded. Screw the populace!
In her piece, Georganne takes on several of the common excuses people throw around to condone and continue the archaic disfigurement of infant genitalia. Is it really so hard to see that circumcision is at best a cosmetic procedure performed in the absence of patient consent? The foreskin has a role in the health of the body and circumcision quite literally RIPS IT OFF. While severe complications including penile amputation and infant death are rare, it cannot be said loud enough that EVERY CIRCUMCISION IS DESTRUCTIVE.
It is truly a sad day for Californians that their collective voice has been silenced with regard to this issue. Apparently their legislators feel that they are either too ignorant or too profane to permit public debate.
- 9/3/11 – Newborn male infant circumcision declining in U.S. says CDC
- 6/24/11 – The professional imperative for obstetrician-gynecologists to discontinue newborn male circumcision.
- 6/4/11 – End genital mutilation now
- 11/26/10 – Doctor and hospital sued for circumcision
- 9/26/10 – Are you REALLY SURE you want your OB/GYN to cut your little boy?
- 3/24/10 – Say NO to infant male circumcision!
- 1/11/10 – Throwing wrenches at the gears