Newborn male circumcision is the most common surgical procedure performed in the U.S. Many people believe that there are tangible health benefits to male circumcision but, the truth is no medical society in the world recommends it. In fact, the American Medical Association calls the surgery “non-therapeutic.” What’s worse, over 100 babies die as a result of complications from circumcision in the U.S. each year.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is developing public health recommendations for the U.S. on male circumcision – ignoring the serious risks such as hemorrhage, infection, surgical mishap, and death – in favor of highly debatable and inconclusive research.
The CDC is the foremost expert on public health in our country and, as such, has a responsibility to share the truth about circumcision.
I just took action, signing a petition to the CDC, demanding the organization release a truthful statement on the harms and risks of circumcision.
If you believe as I do, that we should protect newborn babies from harmful and unnecessary surgery, then say NO to infant male circumcision!
- 10/19/11 – Georganne Chapin – End the barbaric cutting of baby boys
- 9/3/11 – Newborn male infant circumcision declining in U.S. says CDC
- 6/24/11 – The professional imperative for obstetrician-gynecologists to discontinue newborn male circumcision.
- 1/11/10 – End genital mutilation now
- 11/26/10 – Doctor and hospital sued for circumcision
- 9/26/10 – Are you REALLY SURE you want your OB/GYN to cut your little boy?
- 1/11/10 – Throwing wrenches at the gears