- National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC) at 800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) is the lead federal organization for violence prevention to reduce the death and disability associated with injuries outside the workplace.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (800-799-7233) is a nonprofit organization that provides crisis intervention, information and referral to victims of domestic violence, perpetrators, friends and families.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.
- Trevor Project at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) is a 24 hour help line that is available to anyone who needs a listening ear.
- Gay Retirement Guide is a comprehensive online guide to gay retirement for LGBT seniors and those who care about them.
- LGBT Aging Issues Network (LAIN) works to raise awareness about the concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) elders and about the unique barriers they encounter in gaining access to housing, healthcare, long-term care and other needed services.
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging is the country’s first and only technical assistance resource center aimed at improving the quality of services and supports offered to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults.
- Old Lesbians Organizing for Change (OLOC) is a national network of old lesbians over age 60 working to confront ageism in our communities and our country.
- Rainbow Vista desires to serve the need of LGBT seniors by providing a safe and affordable community to living and strive in.
- Services and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders (SAGE) is the world’s oldest and largest non-profit agency dedicated to serving lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender older people.
Education & support
- ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project is an online toolkit that provides the tools you need to reach out to your neighbors, schools, employers and elected officials and get them to pass laws or adopt policies protecting LGBT people and the relationships of LGBT people.
- AdRespect archive contains over 4,000 LGBT themed ads from around the world going back to 1917, exploring the range of representations of gender and sexuality in print and television advertising. The material represents the best and worst of Madison Avenue’s commercial messages, and everything in between.
- Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) hosts the world’s largest online asexual community as well as a large archive of resources on asexuality. AVEN strives to create open, honest discussion about asexuality among sexual and asexual people alike.
- Gay Men’s Health (GMHC) is the world’s first and leading provider of HIV/AIDS prevention, care and advocacy. Building on decades of dedication and expertise, we understand the reality of HIV/AIDS and empower a healthy life for all.
- Human Dignity Trust helps local groups and individuals challenge the legality of laws which criminalise private consensual sexual activity between adults of the same sex, wherever those laws exist in the world.
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is the largest civil rights organization advocating on behalf of LGBT Americans, mobilizes grassroots actions in diverse communities, invests strategically to elect fair-minded individuals to office and educates the public about LGBT issues.
- Independent Gay Forum (IGF) supports the full inclusion of gays and lesbians in civil society with legal equality and equal social respect. We argue that gays and lesbians, in turn, contribute to the creativity, robustness, and decency of our national life.
- Lambda Legal is committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) builds grassroots political muscle at every level by training activists, strengthening the infrastructure of local and state allies and organizing broad-based campaigns creating public support for full equality of LGBT people.
- Radical Faeries tend to be gay men who look for a spiritual dimension to our sexuality; many of us are healers of one kind or another. Our shared values include feminism, respect for the Earth, and individual responsibility rather than hierarchy.
- Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN) is a non-partisan, non-profit, legal services, watchdog and policy organization dedicated to bringing about full LGBT equality to America’s military and ending all forms of discrimination and harassment of military personnel on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Truth Wins Out defends the GLBT community against anti-gay misinformation campaigns, counters the ex-gay industry and educates America about gay life.
- Family Acceptance Project is a community research, intervention and education initiative to study the impact of family acceptance and rejection on the health, mental health and well-being of lesbian, gay and bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth.
- Family Equality Council works to ensure equality for LGBT families by building community, changing hearts and minds, and advancing social justice for all families.
- Growing Generations is the largest surrogacy agency of its kind anywhere in the world providing services to a wide range of family types including gay and lesbian, heterosexual, single, and persons with HIV.
- LGBT Parenting Connection promotes the rights and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer parents, prospective parents and their families through education, advocacy, research, social networking, and community organizing.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights.
- ProudParenting.com serves as an online portal for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender parents and their families worldwide.
Finance & mortgage
- Aptus Insurance Personal Finance Guide for LGBT provides additional clarity on several personal finance topics especially pertinent to the gay and lesbian community including: financial aid and scholarships, housing, gay & lesbian marriages, living with HIV, LGBT-friendly businesses and LGBT personal finance myths.
- Housing & Mortgages for Gay & Lesbian Couples is a guide that will help to explain the different approaches that same-sex couples can take to getting a mortgage, establishing ownership of a home, and creating legal documents that anticipate any legal or property-ownership issues that might occur if the couple breaks up or one partner dies.
- Birth certificate changes provides information on how to change the name and sex of birth certificates in the U.S. and Canada.
- Check it Out Guys is a campaign of trans men and allied health care providers to encourage pap tests for trans men.
- FORGE has been improving the lives of transgender and SOFFA individuals since 1994.
- FTMInternational provides educational activities, support meetings, information, networking and referral services for FTMs and their families in cities throughout the world.
- Gender & Health Collaborative Curriculum Project provides modules that cover an introduction to gender and health, application modules that cover the role of gender in specific domains of medicine, and a collection of tools for evaluating and applying the gender and health concepts presented.
- Gender Identity Research and Education Society (GIRES) focuses on people who experience atypical gender identity development, especially trans people, whether or not they are also affected by L,G,B or I issues.
- Gender Odyssey is an international conference focused on the thoughtful exploration of gender.
- Gender Spectrum provides education, resources and training to help you create a more gender sensitive and supportive environment for all people, including gender variant and transgender youth.
- Global Action for Trans* Equality (GATE) is a trans* network coordinator, facilitator and advocate to the ‘outside’ world. GATE works to unite trans* movements for common goals, while developing trans* agendas on a conceptual policy level.
- Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide provides information on topics of interest to female-to-male (FTM, F2M) trans men, and their friends and loved ones.
- Informed Consent for Access to Trans Health (ICATH) is a recognized medical Standard of Care that promotes the ultimate well-being and autonomy for transgender transsexual, intersex, and other gender non-conforming people.
- National Center for Transgender Equality is dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment.
- QueerTransmen.org is dedicated to raising awareness about the sexual health of trans men and sharing knowledge around our complex bodies, sexualities and sex lives.
- Trans-Health is a website that provides information on health and fitness for transgender and transsexual people.
- Trans Health Connection, a project of Rainbow Health Ontario and Sherbourne Health Centre, is increasing the capacity of Ontario’s primary health care system to provide high-quality, comprehensive care to trans communities through training, education, mentorship, resources, and networking.
- Trans Student Equality Resources (TSER) is a youth-led organization dedicated to improving the educational environment for trans* and gender nonconforming students, affirming that one’s gender identity is a valuable form of human diversity.
- TRANS*ATHLETE is a resource for students, athletes, coaches, and administrators to find information about trans* inclusion in athletics at various levels of play.
- TransActive provides the necessary support to improve the quality of life of transgender and gender non-conforming children, youth and their families through education, services, advocacy and research.
- Transgender Health Program was launched by Vancouver Coastal Health in June 2003 to bring together transgender people and loved ones, health care providers, health planners, and researchers to work on improving transgender health services in BC.
- Transgender Law Center is one of the nation’s most comprehensive collections of resources on transgender law.
- TransKids Purple Rainbow (TKPR) is committed to the premise that Gender Identity Disorder (GID) is something a child can’t control and it is society that needs to change, not them.
- TransMentors International is a non-profit organization which provides aid, support and assistance to Trans-identified individuals.
- TransYouth Family Allies (TYFA) empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected.
- University of Victoria Transgender Archives has committed itself to the preservation of the history of pioneering activists, community leaders, and researchers who have contributed to the betterment of transgender people.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) promotes education, advocacy, training, research, quality health care and best practice standards for service providers and policy makers regarding gender variant individuals.
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA) is the world’s largest and oldest association of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) health care professionals.
- National Coalition for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health is committed to improving the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals and communities through public education, coalition building and advocacy that focus on research, policy, education and training.
- National LGBT Cancer Network works to improve the lives of LGBT cancer survivors and those at risk by: EDUCATING the LGBT community about our increased cancer risks and the importance of screening and early detection; TRAINING health care providers to offer more culturally-competent, safe and welcoming care; and ADVOCATING for LGBT survivors in mainstream cancer organizations, the media and research.
- ShoutOutHealth.com provides a safe haven for any LGBT people who are interested in access to essential, up to date, uplifting and informative health and wellness information in a safe, anonymous forum, from health care providers, writers and other professionals who care about promoting LGBT health.
- Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons consists of LGBT individuals at different places in the coming-out process, as well as families, friends and allies united in the shared experience of a spiritual and/or cultural heritage in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS/Mormon).
- Affirmation: United Methodist is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization that challenges The United Methodist Church to be inclusive, and radically speaks out against injustice for LGBTQ people around the world.
- DignityUSA envisions and works for a time when Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Catholics are affirmed and experience dignity through the integration of their spirituality with their sexuality, and as beloved persons of God participate fully in all aspects of life within the Catholic Church and Society.
- Gay and Lesbian Vaishnava Association (GALVA) is an international organization dedicated to the teachings of Lord Caitanya, the importance of all-inclusiveness within His mission, and the Vedic concept of a natural third gender.
- Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) was founded in 1968 and continues to be at the vanguard of civil and human rights movements by addressing important issues such as racism, sexism, homophobia, ageism, and other forms of oppression. MCC has been on the forefront in the struggle towards marriage equality in the US and other countries worldwide and continues to be a powerful voice in the LGBT equality movement.
- QueerDharma is community of meditation practice for all people, founded and hosted by LGBTQ people. A broad range of Buddhist traditions are represented in our membership and visiting teachers.
- ReconcilingWorks advocates for the full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Lutherans in all aspects of the life of their Church and congregations.
- Seventh-day Adventist Kinship International is a volunteer support organization that champions human rights for all people. We believe everyone is created in the image of God and that no one should be mistreated or discriminated against because of their sexual orientation.
- Soulforce seeks freedom for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance.
- Unitarian Universalist (UU) is a caring, open-minded faith community. Our congregations are places where people gather to nurture their spirits and put their faith into action by helping to make our communities—and the world—a better place. Unitarian Universalist congregations extend a warm welcome to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) individuals, families, and communities.
- World Congress of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Jews: Keshet Ga’avah is an environment where Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Jews worldwide can enjoy free and fulfilling lives.
- Accord Alliance promotes comprehensive and integrated approaches to care that enhance the health and well-being of people and families affected by disorders of sex development (DSD, which includes some conditions referred to as “intersex”).
- Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome Support Group (AISSG) is a consortium of worldwide support groups that provide information and support to young people, adults and families affected by Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (Testicular Feminization Syndrome), Swyer’s Syndrome (XY Gonadal Dysgenesis), 5-alpha Reductase Deficiency, Leydig Cell Hypoplasia, Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser (MRKH) Syndrome, Mullerian Dysgenesis, Mullerian Duct Aplasia, Vaginal Atresia and other related conditions.
- Beautiful You MRKH Foundation creates a supportive community that partners with health care professionals to increase awareness and empower women of all ages with MRKH to feel beautiful, just as they are.
- CARES Foundation reaches out to families and individuals with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH), an orphan condition that is historically under served, supported and funded.
- Hypospadias and Epispadias Association (HEA) offers support so that people with HS/ES never need to feel alone. People with HS or ES and their families can use the resources we offer to make informed decisions about surgery, relationships, and sexuality.
- Intersex Network (OII) is devoted to systemic change to end the fear, shame, secrecy and stigma experienced by children and adults through the practice of non-consensual normalisation treatments for people born with atypical anatomy, and the arbitrary assignment of a particular gender without an informed consultation with the individual concerned.
- Intersex Roadshow Blog “Intersex people are supposed to lie low and keep quiet. Not me. I’m not defective, I’m not disordered, I’m not ashamed. I just don’t fit in your M/F boxes.” –Dr Cary Gabriel Costello
- Intersex Society of North America (ISNA) is devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female.
- Overview of Sex Development is an animated, interactive atlas of child anatomy and physiology from the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This blog is a mix of life experience, medicine, science, social issues and politics.